Tuesday, April 29, 2008

"Imagine No Possessions..."

'Expelled' Movie Faces Lawsuit

The headline read: 'Expelled' Professor Talks; Movie Faces Lawsuit so I expected it was a challenge from the academic community. Turns out Yoko Ono is doing the suing. The movie uses a 'fair use' clip of John Lennon's song 'Imagine' as background in one scene. If you're not familiar with this song [and that I can't imagine], it portrays a very naturalistic and somewhat transcendent world view where the elimination of religion, states, possessions, etc. leads to a utopian harmony of mankind. The song begins: "Imagine there's no heaven..." and, you know I'm a huge Randy Alcorn fan, so I don't subscribe to the philosophy, but I like John Lennon's ability to write lyrics and he is a cultural icon. Actually, let me confess outright, I like the song. Still, it ceased to express my worldview after the afternoon of the fat buds. I really wish Yoko had left well enough alone.

No comments: