Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Hand Crafted Hammock

My Favorite Piece of Lawn Furniture and TLC

Seven or eight years ago, the kids gave me a really neat rope hammock for Fathers Day. It has always been my favorite 'thinking spot' up under the oaks behind our house. Recently an oak branch dropped into the old hammock and ripped it [I thought] beyond repair.

They'd bought it in some big store in North Carolina, but the label on the stretcher said that it was made by Twin Oak Hammocks in Louisa, Virginia. Now I knew that Twin Oaks was a community not far from us. I'd seen them making hammocks once at the Crozet Arts and Crafts Festival. When I learned that they actually repaired hammocks as well as made them I decided to see if my old hammock was really beyond hope.

Turns out a friendly hammock expert at Twin Oaks looked it over and said it could be fixed. Later another friendly voice called to let me know that the oak stretchers were structurally sound but 'she'd reccommend replacing them.' Since the cost was minimal, I said go for it. Today they called to say my hammock was ready to ship. This has been a matter of days!

Twin Oaks is obviously a group of people who value the relationship as well as the workmanship in what they do. It is a pleasure to deal with them.

Sadly, the big store no longer sells the rope hammocks but it gives me great pleasure to tell you where to get one: Here is Their On-line Store.

Update: Three days after Twin Oaks' repair department received my hammock it was delivered in beautiful condition. It's back on the hill behind my house.

No comments: