Monday, July 6, 2009

Jamaican Luge Team

Family Fun on the Fourth...

Flag
The Star-Spangled Banner still waves...

July 4, 2009
...but this looks like a Caribbean Winter Sport!

After three tours in the Middle-East and taking up a career in the financial sector after his discharge, my nephew must have thought our family get togethers needed some... er... excitement! Yes, as he drove to our gathering at Graves Mountain Lodge the idea hit him... we needed a Big Wheel!

A stop at Toys-r-us was all it took and my nephew arrived with the magic tricycle. He'd already broken the spot-welded rear wheel assembly and run to Lowes for a 24" threaded rod and some heavier tires [with bearings] by the time I arrived on the scene. "You are NOT riding on that thing" my lovely wife stated tersely, but after my son-in-law made his run I decided it was time to do a serious structural analysis on the tricycle of death.

Our course ran from the Ridgetop rooms all the way down to the grassy flats below the main lodge. You crossed through the remains of an old orchard and got air crossing two old orchard roads.

July 4, 2009
The course.

See those cars at the bottom. You shot past them. When you shot over the paved road into the grassy flat, the assembled family let up a rousing cheer! It was a lot like the old sledding hills we remember. I made two trips when I could get the thing away from the younger crowd.

Sparklers
Sparklers at Graves' Mountain Lodge.

No comments: