Wednesday, December 19, 2012

THYME Magazine

Citizen Journalism with a Better Flavor

THYME0453
Volume IV, Issue LIII

"...and who knoweth whether thou art come to the kingdom for such a time as this?" -- Esther 4:14

Last Year THYME's 'Esther of the Year' was Irena Sendler [click to read]. This amazing woman saved the lives of many children during the holocaust. This year, with great sadness, we remember another woman's saving of children. She was not a great public figure, she did not seek fame. Her Mother said of her: "She was not somebody that ever wanted to be famous or wanted her picture in the paper."

So we will simply remember her deeds.

Last week, Pastor Bruce Hankee preached a message on the life of Joseph. A simple, righteous man, he didn't seek fame either. I think he aspired to build a good life for the young woman he was betrothed to... and then history came to him. Pastor Hankee asked: "Do you know who is ministering to the homeless at the Valley Mission right now? Do you know who's teaching childrens' church? Do you know who's in the sound booth?" His point: There is much unheralded love and service all around us. The life of Joseph is a great example of such love.

Her favorite holiday was Christmas. Her favorite color was green. Long before she laid down her life for her students, she gave her life to them. “She was an absolutely amazing teacher. She just was so young and so full of life and educating just got her so excited and teaching those children is what she loved to do,” said one parent. When danger threatened her students, she thought quickly, distracting the shooter and shielding her students with her own body.

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." according to John 15:13. All of us might honor the memory of this fine young woman by living this out in our own spheres. Can I die to my own ambitions and put my spouse's needs before my wants? Can I listen to my child today? Can I carry the great stories in my own heart and so give my life to enrich others?

I cannot think of a more fitting tribute to this 27 year-old hero.

No comments: