Saturday, July 24, 2010

THYME Magazine

Citizen Journalism with a Better Flavor

thyme0230
Volume II, Issue XXX

In Defense of Summer Vacation

The 'other' Weekly News Magazine [click to read] is arguing that Summer Vacation is over romanticized and merely stands in the way of the kids retaining all that book-learning they'll need so they can work for the Chinese some day. OK, I'll give you the point that a certain amount of knowledge is 'lost' as kids pursue other activities... but as one who's life and career was shaped by Summers of 'other activities' I'll raise a clear protest: "Not so fast!"

I spent my Summers drawing, building things, going to camp and playing for hours in the woods. I was Lewis and Clark when I set off to explore the woods surrounding Triadelphia Reservoir... with no Sacajawea to help with directions. Mom got a big bell to ring when it was time to come in for dinner. Sometimes I actually heard it. More often than not my appetite finally brought me back to a plate of cold food. Now I loved my groceries as much as any young boy, but didn't Simon Kenton eat cold biscuits while he was exporing the Ohio Valley?

When my younger siblings were old enough, Dad loaded us in Mom's VW Microbus [Mom was there first when it came to the minivan] and we took road trips. Man, I loved road trips. We'd go to places like Gettysburg and crawl into sniper's nests. We'd imagine what it must have been like rushing up the hill in Pickett's Charge. Then we'd go to Antietem and wonder some more. When I turned sixteen, Dad actually let me drive on the trips. Oh the white-knuckle thrill of the Capital Beltway! The endless perspective of NC Route 12 heading to Hatteras and the rollercoaster ride down US 29 to Grandma's. Life was good in the Summer. I hired myself out to the local farmers to bale hay and other jobs. Hot, nasty work is good for the teenaged soul.

One farmer had a wife who'd make us grape juice and lemonade. I've never found sweeter refreshment in all my life.

One Summer Dad decided I needed to build a greenhouse. He let me draw up the plans and he took them to the county... I was thirteen at the time. He gave me a budget and set me loose. I learned to lay block, build walls, buy old storm windows and pretty much whatever it took. The guys at Talbott's Lumber Yard in Ellicott City gave me lots of free advice. They pretty much convinced me I could do it. I wonder how much Dad was paying them?

I was not a licensed electrician... that presented a problem for hooking up the power. Dad said it wasn't a problem. He had a buddy who was licensed and came out and did the whole job in exchange for a bottle of Jack Daniels [Black Label] that Dad cheerfully 'donated' to the building fund. In addition to the electric heater, we got the brilliant idea that it would benefit the plants with both heat and moisture if we ran the dryer vent in there.

What to do about lint? Well, here's where it got really interesting. When we discovered that a discarded nylon stocking fit over the vent and caught the lint while allowing air to flow, we had our problem solved. Dad enjoyed the 'conversation piece' that resulted too.

The greenhouse, built of redwood, served our family for many years. Finally it succombed to termites after I was gone and married. It's lessons are still with me today.

6 comments:

Joy Jackson said...

I totally agree. Kids AND teachers need the summer off. Summers were always wonderful for me as a kid. I don't believe I've over-romanticized them at all.

Bob K. said...

Amen!

I would argue that my Dad making me do material take-offs for the greenhouse trumps any year-round school's math drills. And your point about teachers needing the break too is much needed.

I teach an art unit at Field School in Crozet. These are middle school boys. I LOVE these guys and look forward to the class but I would burn out fast if I never got a break from them.

Lynn R. Mitchell said...

Thanks, Bob, for the childhood memories of summer. I could write a book about how much we enjoyed our time off from school and the enjoyment of slowing down during those lazy days of summer.

Bob K. said...

Lynn, You should write a book.

Peglegged Picador said...

i think you missed the point of that article. if you actually read it, you'll find that it's much more about the need to fund programs/experiences for kids who aren't fortunate enough to do things like go to camp, explore their environments or go on family vacations. it also establishes that the retention gap between kids who do have the kinds of advantages you mention and those who do not is startling. it's nice to read your memories about the summer, but i don't see how distorting the context of an article about how we can potentially improve education in this country is a positive way to do that.

in terms of teachers needing a break, all i have to say is that teachers need to do what's best for students, period.

Bob K. said...

Seth, I did read it. Do you really think the government should now fund/take over providing all enriching experiences for children?

There are already programs like Fresh Air Fund that get kids to camp. Certainly that type of program can be expanded... often by private charities. The government is already broke. Is this really the best way to provide enrichment?

I for one do not want the government to have my kids year round. Here's another argument for home schooling.