Monday, July 5, 2010

Walking Around in Washington

How I Gained a New Appreciation of Bodine

09/12/09
The Capitol. photo from an earlier trip.

Yesterday was the Fourth of July. I walked down to the center of town at dawn, hoping for a chance to photograph the morning light on the Lincoln Memorial. The fences where up for the big celebration but there was clearly still access. Two joggers ran by the memorial and out the fence.

I proceeded to walk in where the joggers had come out only to be told that the memorial grounds were closed. The poor security guy was getting chewed out for letting the joggers through. Tomorrow will be the day I try again. I'm told A. Aubry Bodine had days like this too.

He once drove from Baltimore all the way to Frederick, Maryland to photograph a particular valley. When he got there the light was wrong. He got his photograph a year later on another trip.

No comments: