Thomas Jefferson's Magnificent Capitol, the Centerpiece
The temple form in the center is Jefferson's original Capitol, modeled after the Maison Carrée at Nîmes in southern France, an ancient Roman temple. Jefferson had the architect, Charles-Louis Clérisseau, substitute the Roman Ionic order over the more ornate Corinthian column designs of the prototype in France. The cornerstone was laid on August 18, 1785, with Governor Patrick Henry in attendance. The General Assembly first met there in October of 1792. All photos by Bob Kirchman.
The wings were added in 1904 to provide enlarged chambers for the House and Senate.
The Executive Mansion. Designed by Alexander Parris and completed in 1813, it is the oldest occupied governor's mansion in the United States.
George Washington on horseback commands the Western side of Capitol Square.