Monday, March 23, 2009

Bull Run Conservancy

Wilderness Near Washington

On the White Rocks
Self portrait on the white rocks of Bull Run Conservancy.

This weekend was the end of my son's spring break from Moody Bible Institute. We're driving to Dulles for him to catch his plane Sunday afternoon when we catch a glimpse of the white rocks on the last ridge driving in on interstate 66. I said "I'll be waving to you from up there when you take off." After our goodbye at the airport I drove out to where you could get over to Virginia route 55 and made my way to Chapman's Mill where the trail starts.

The parking area was full. I expected little solitude and almost bailed out for the North District of Shenandoah. I'm glad I stayed though. Most people were coming off the mountain by the time I got there and my visit to the white rocks was shared with one young couple. I had passed them twice [I stopped to take pictures]. We got to talking and they asked me if I knew anything about Old Rag. "That's our next hike we want to do" she said. "Yes, I do as a matter of fact. We take the church youth there every year." I replied. "I hear it's pretty tough. Do you think we'll be able to do it?" the young woman asked. "Oh, you'll do fine," I answered and described the moves necessary for some of the trickier climbs.

Its not a very long hike to the rocks but the map the Conservancy publishes doesn't really tell you where they are. You need to follow the Ridge Trail and pass onto private land for a bit before you get to the rocks you see from the road.

The rocks really were interesting. They would have been an interesting place to take in the sunset but the Conservancy closes at sunset. Reluctantly I made my way back so as to be off the trail in time.

Hiking Bull Run Conservancy:

If you want to hike Bull Run Conservancy Here is an Exellent Guide [click to read] with printable trail map from Hiking Upward. The Conservancy's Website [click to read] also has a lot of good information.

No comments: