Monday, December 7, 2009

December 7th, September 11th

Never Never Forget...

Phil Reminds Us of the Day that will Live in Infamy {click to read].

Our parents could tell us EXACTLY what they were doing and where they were when they learned of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

On a bright September day I decided to get in a run before work. It was a beautiful blue-sky day. I looked up and thought it would be a day to be flying... It would certainly turn out to be not a good day for flying! When I got to the office the news of the plane hitting the first tower was out. I watched the television in horror as another plane struck and the towers fell. The Pentagon was hit and a plane augered in to a field near Shanksville, Pennsylvania.

Just how big was this attack. Was the world we knew being brought down before our very eyes? All of us prayed.

In the days that followed the sky was eerily quiet. There was not a plane in the sky save for an occasional military craft. I remember sticking my lunch money into a firefighter's outstretched boot. We understood the danger then, as our parents did so long ago. Do we understand the danger today?

No comments: