Friday, March 19, 2010

Taking Our Concerns to a Higher Authority

A Modest Proposal for Righting Our Course

Ramsey's Draft
Ramsey's Draft flows across the rocks...

"Sometimes the voice of G-d sounds a lot like your wife." -- Chuck Swindoll

Her point was well stated: all the phone calls and demonstrations in the world won't change the heart of a man who can ignore Brett Baier's repeated and pointed questions about a process that by its very nature ignores the will of the American people. But there is one in Heaven who can guide the king's heart like a watercourse.[1.] It is to Him that we must petition when things are beyond our ability.

Consider George Washington at Valley Forge, looking at his ill-equipped troops and a well supplied British force he must have felt the cause of liberty was about to go down on more than one occasion. History shows us that Washington gave himself to prayer and after a miraculous victory at Trenton, the establishment of a new republic and its surviving a military coup that almost happened when the troops were not paid, I think Washington would have seen the whole of it as nothing short of Divine Providence.

Today we are facing the dismantling of that dream that Patriots spilled blood for, Washington prayed for and countless sons of liberty have stood in harm's way to preserve. The odds seem as bleak as those of that little band of men at Valley Forge. We must take up their ultimate weapon, prayer and supplication to G-d!

I speak to you from no position of authority and with no qualifications other than a love of G-d and a love of America. I write a little blog with three readers, but I would like any one of you, or all of you to take the torch from my hand. Here is my proposal:

As thousands make their way to Washington to petition Congress tomorrow at noon, I want to humbly ask you to join me in petitioning Heaven. Many of us will not be able to make the trip to Washington but are there in spirit.

Could everyone who gets this message stop what they are doing at noon tomorrow EST on March 20 and pray for our nation. Let us make it sincere, on your knees, honest prayer. Let us be honest about our failings, both personal and as a nation, and seek the mercy of a loving and powerfl G-d. Let us look to G-d not only to change our national history but each of us personally.

It is a dangerous prayer but these are dangerous times. I for one do not want it said that I neglected the best resources at my disposal to sway the course of history.

So please share this if you feel the same. There is no promise I can make for this, only the evidence of history.

This is what came to my heart as I spent some time alone this morning: Americans in Alaska praying at 8:00am tomorrow. Americans in California praying at 9:00am and Americans in the Rocky Mountains praying at 10:00am. Americans in Chicago praying at 11:00am tomorrow as Americans in Washington pray at noon. Share this, if you feel as I do. What if we go beyond simply surrounding the Capitol and surround our nation -- with prayer?

1. Proverbs 21:1 "The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD; he directs it like a watercourse wherever he pleases."

Ramsey's Draft
...but the greatest force in our lives is the one unseen.

1 comment:

Joy Jackson said...

What amazing words. Thanks Bob. I've already posted it on facebook. I guess you saw my status on facebook. I, too, am at the point where I believe it's all that I can do.