Friday, July 1, 2011

THYME Magazine

Citizen Journalism with a Better Flavor

thyme0326
Volume III, Issue XXVI

In his famous poem, Robert Frost muses about what he's walling in and walling out with his neighbor. Both are New Englanders and similarly disposed to the same philosophy of ownership and agriculture.

For them, indeed, the line between farms may be simply defined.

Mexico, with its drug wars and human smuggling offers a bit of contrast to an America that within some of our lifetimes lived with her doors unlocked at night. The 'other' weekly news magazine opines that the Mexican Drug wars are our wars now.

While it is certainly true that the pain of my neighbor is one that I share, it does not follow that American society need be ravaged by the disorder of our neigbor's house. If my neighbor were a violent man, I would certainly want to love and help him, but I would not leave him alone with my children! Sherrif Joe Arpio, Arizona Governor Jan Brewer and those who would secure our borders are right in this case. "Good fences make good neighbors."

As to what we're "fencing in and fencing out:" may I suggest anothewr quote from David Barton: "Good Christians make good citizens." Indeed, what was it that allowed our country to live through the Great Depression with our doors unlocked? Some would contend, and I would agree, that a sense of some higher order to life led to a practical self-governance that was more effective than any external walls in controlling human behavior.

No comments: