Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Some Thoughts...

The Times We are In Deserve Contemplation

Sunset Flight
An airliner streaks across the sunset sky.

Times Like These...

SAM: "It’s like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn’t want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back only they didn’t. They kept going because they were holding on to something."

FRODO: "What are we holding on to, Sam?"

SAM: "There’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for."

FRODO: “I wish the ring had never come to me”, I wish none of this had ever happened”

GANDALF: “So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Dean Welty was on WNLR this morning talking about the challenges we face. He spoke of legislation such as the 'Freedom of Choice' Act, ENDA, Hate Crimes and others all designed to fundamentally change the nature of our society. It's important that we participate in the electorial process this fall in the spirit of men like William Wilberforce. He's the British Parliamentarian who fought [often singlehandedly] for the abolition of slavery in the British possessions. It was a fight that he fought for almost half a century and he spent his life and health in the process.

Today Dean had some very practical suggestions. First go to the candidates' websites. See where THEY stand on the issues that matter to you. May I suggest that putting broadband internet in every cow pasture is a pretty low priority. Besides, let me tell you who gets those jobs anyway. When the fiber optic network came in here the low bidder was a company from North Carolina and the work was actually done by a crew of Mexicans. What Virginia jobs were even 'created' anyway?

Renewing has to come from somewhere much deeper. Dean reminded us that it indeed needs to be spiritual. As Wilberforce was motivated by his Christian Faith, so we need to be driven if we are to meet the challenges of our times.

If you will call Paul at WNLR: (540) 885-1150, he will send you a copy of Mr. Welty's broadcast.

"Who Am I, and Why am I Here"

I'm quoting Admiral James Stockdale [click to read], but Like Frodo in Tolkein's stories I probably wasn't trying to write a 'political' blog when I started. As a child I was always enthralled by the Sunday Sun 'Brown Section.' It was a beautiful publication full of photographs by the legendary A. Aubrey Bodine. The Brown Section celebrated every facet of life in Baltimore and the Maryland countryside that surrounded it. Sadly the beautiful Brown Section has been replaced by Sunday magaznes that are more 'pop' culture and 'ten ways to lose ten pounds' driven. I wanted to celebrate the life G-d has graciously allowed me to experience. I wanted a place to be able to point out sublime sunsets and magnificent mountains. My obsevation of life in all its facets led me, like Frodo, on this 'adventure.'

This Blog only has Three Readers

...and proudly so. That needs explaining so here goes:

First of all you, dear reader, and I LOVE those old lead-filled books that address you so. They invite you into their world politely. They do not feign familiarity but open a door and offer you hot tea and warm fellowship.

Second, it is me who is reading what I write. It is the things that interest me that you are reading about. There are things that are deeply cared about.

But most of all, it is G-d who knows the hearts of men. No, he doesn't subscribe, but I write to honor him. Sometimes I feel his pleasure!

Let the Journey Begin...

No comments: